Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #80 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: ReAniMate 3.0: The CoVeRs eP (No I don't know why it's styled that way, but it is)
Artist: Halestorm
Genre: Hard Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: January 6
Position in Discography: Ninth (if you're only counting Eps) thirteenth overall
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Yes
Check out more from this artist? Of their own material, probably, yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes of course.

Not crazy about covers albums, but this is just an EP with only six tracks so why not? Also it's Halestorm who are pretty ok. Not the biggest fan of Whitesnake and “Still of the Night” still sounds too much like a poor Zep ripoff (can't remember which one? “Rock and roll”? Whatever) so not really any comment there. They do a good version of Sophie B. Hawkins's “Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover” but I know hardly any Joan Jett so whether they cover her “I Hate Myself For Loving You” well or not I can't say, ditto for Twenty-One Pilots and their “Heathens”. As for Soundgarden, well you all know I don't know a single Soundgarden song so can't comment on “Fell on Black Days”. That just leaves Metallica's anthem “Ride the Lightning”, and, well, nobody will out-Metallica Metallica, but it's a decent cover.

Which is about all I can say about this EP. It's decent, but hey, it's covers, and you know more or less what you're going to get if you know the songs. I don't, in most cases, but I still wasn't particularly impressed. Maybe if I heard an album of their original material?