Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Colours" by Nadia Oh
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #62 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

First thoughts are what the **** have I gotten myself into? This represents so many of the worst elements of early 2010s electro-pop that I genuinely wonder whether this is in earnest or some sort of drunken parody.

It's pretty obvious that Nadia Oh is completely talentless. Her autotuned vocals are either a stylistic choice or used to hide her lack of vocal talent. Or both. *shudders* Anyway, her delivery is just as bad. A poor singer such as Kim Gordon can give a performance worthwhile if it has feeling behind it. Unfortunately, Nadia has no feeling whatsoever, she sounds bored if anything.

The songwriting and lyricism on this album is... um, well it seems almost nonexistent. The songwriting at least is probably just whoever produced these albums screwing around in a cheap DAW. The lyrics are generally repeated, sometimes to the point where it's literally just the same couple of words over and over again. (Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?) Yeah, they're pretty ****.

The production I already discussed a bit but I'll say more: it's awful. This may be the worst production I've ever heard on an album. The mixing is awful, all of the synths are lame and dated, the drums are so obviously mixed. And despite being ridiculously annoying, practically nothing about the production is even slightly intriguing. Okay, perhaps a couple songs have something interesting to do, but a couple is all. Most of the songs steal themes quite obviously from other locations as well.

Don't have much more to say so I'll just start a list of things I hate about this album:

$wag, "you make me want to jump-jump out the window", Swag, "BITCH", all of the basic Spanish phrases to make you believe this album is even remotely latin, her spectacularly awful auto-tuned voice, "I feel so E-erotic...", Swag, the awfully mixed drums, "take your money, we gon take your money", Swag, "Nadia Oh" at the start of half of the songs, and $WAG.

1/10 At least Brokencyde has passion.

Literally the bottom of the list:

KISS - Destroyer
Nadia Oh - Colours

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote