Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #105 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Future State of Wicked
Artist: Blood Feast
Genre: Death Metal/Thrash Metal
Nationality: American
Release date: January 12
Position in Discography: Third
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A little
Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Well there's a nice chance to ease myself into this album, with a screeching scream and pounding guitars and we're off at a breakneck pace. This might be what they call old school death metal? It kind of sounds to these admittedly untrained ears more like Thrash/Speed, with the lyrical matter flirting with Black Metal. I mean: “INRI”, “Brethren”, “Who Prays for the Devil”, “Last Rites”? Yeah, unfortunately it just pounded into “Off With Their Heads” and I didn't notice we were on a new track. Good stuff though. But is it good enough? I find myself losing interest fairly quickly. Of course, I'm no DM enthusiast, so maybe someone more versed in this subgenre would get more out of it.

For me, it's a little too all over the place, too many mixtures of styles. Now, the current album Batty chose to kick off the Death Metal Album Club can be accused of this too, but whereas that band use just exactly what they want and need from each style and then throw the bones to the dogs and move on, Blood Feast seem more to stagger along, kicking in doors, peer in, shrug and wander on to the next one. There's no real cohesion here. But in the end, as I say, Death Metal is not my forte so I'll just content myself with saying this does little for me, but someone else might enjoy it.