Music Banter - View Single Post - Shouldn't things be even more ****ed up?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I often consider all the unfortunate diseases and accidents one can suffer and statistics like "this will happen to 1/50 people" and then wonder how I can consistently not be one of those people, perhaps very narrowly escaping early demises everyday

it seems extraordinary to just exist as a healthy person
^ That's a good attitude, elphenor! It reminds me of a retired guy who used to be my neighbour; when I asked him how he was, he used to say, "It's another day and I'm alive, so it's great." And it's a fact that to just keep going is the greatest achievement of many of us. I sometimes think, in a rather callous way, "I'm not a great musician, but ha! at least I've outlived Hendrix, Nick Drake, Amy Winehouse, etc, etc. On one scale of measurement, I'm more successful than them."
__________________________________________________ ___________

For the people hoping for social revolt, I'd say be careful what you wish for. Sure, there are plenty of ills and injustices in society, but historically, full-on revolutions are usually periods of bloodshed and anarchy; looting, rape and the violent paying-off of grudges, between racial groups and also the neighbour who always has his tv on too loud. After which there's no guarantee that it won't be a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.." So I guess my preference is for social change through the democratic process.