Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I don't buy nearly as many metal albums as I used to, but I did get a couple a few days ago. Trying to keep up with music in 2017, they're quite newly released.

Kobra and the Lotus - Prevail I

Released: May 12, 2017
Genre: Heavy Metal
Chronology: This is their 4th full length album since their first in 2009.

I've known this band for a few years and found myself very impressed by their previous full length album, High Priestess. A small covers EP filled out the gap between that and the newest album and it was allright, if not essential.

This album feels a lot more slick and radio friendly than the previous album, which was heavy metal to the bone. Prevail I throws around quite a few power chords, focuses on vocal hooks more than riffs and at times even calls to mind some old Lacuna Coil.

You might think I'm about to call the album a disappointment, but that's not the case at all. If anything, Prevail I comes off as a very, very strong album after just a handful listens. Kobra Paige's voice is powerful and beautiful and she handles a healthy bunch of great hooks with flying colors.
Another thing I really like about this album is the simple, but creative guitar solos. They sound fresh and full of personality. Musically, the album is rather subordinated to the vocals though. This is no bad thing, but don't expect the drums or the bass guitar playing to be much more than "fitting".

As a collection of 12 catchy songs, all of which are rather accessible in nature, this is one hell of an enjoyable album. I'm finding myself humming the vocal hooks while cooking dinner - which is something very few metal albums manage to do for me.

For an example of what's so great about Kobra Paige's singing, check out the song Victim. They're all winners though. Just be warned that the music video for the song You Don't Know is rather corny.

Might very well turn out to be one of my favorite albums of 2017.
Very recommended - on the pretext that you actually enjoy basic heavy metal and vocal dominated metal.

Arch Enemy - Will to Power

Released: May 12, 2017
Genre: Melodic death metal (that's starting to sound like power metal)
Chronology: This is their 11th full length album since their first in 1996.

I've been a fan of this band for many years. I'm sure they don't need any introduction among most people who listen to metal. Slightly against the general opinion on the band, I think they were pretty boring back in the Johan Liiva years. I like all albums from the Angela Gossow years more or less and the previous (and first) with Alissa White-Gluz on the microphone was allright.

I've seen all sorts of reactions to their newest album, Will to Power. Some think the band is completely played out and that Alissa ruined the band. Many complaints about Jeff Loomis not having enough to do, the lyrics being corny, alissa not being Liiva or Gossow... Video ratings suggest that most people like what they hear, so maybe it's actually a lot more well liked than a quick glance at the various seedy comment sections of the internet might suggest.

I've been spinning the disc many times over the last couple days and I've reached a verdict: Very, very fun to listen to. Possibly the best album the band ever did. Big words.

There's precious little left here that feels like death metal. Someone, somewhere said that the band is starting to feel more like power metal, what with the big, anthemic leads and the generally more colorful, softer guitar playing. I like this version of the band. It's been there for many years, but it is indeed the case that this album is more melodic and less extreme than any previous album.

I can't complain. Will to Power is simply stuffed with fun riffs, guitar leads and there's a general feeling that the songs flow really well. The production is overly clean and compressed, but it does sound fairly good. There's even some detail in the drums and the bass if you care to listen for it.

Alissa screams and shouts and does - as a first with this band - a scant few moments of cleanly sung vocals. She's not my favorite vocalist in the world by any means, but she does a good job of keeping up with the energy level of the music and providing a bit of expressive variety.

You already know what you think of this band. For what it's worth, I think this album is one of their most consistently catchy and entertaining albums yet. Perhaps the best, side by side with Khaos Legions.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote