Music Banter - View Single Post - 2006 Winter Olympics
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber
so you basically denounced the credibility of an entire sport because you were under the false assumption that the judging was unfair. THAT is why I replied the way i did, going into such detail about freeskiing, because YOU were the one who denounced the entire sport as a bullsh*t competition with no way of accurately judging an athelete's ability.
Fourteen year old kid comes from "nowhere" to win silver medal. Ends up with masses of sponsorship and publicity. Your own example, pretty much reeking of the most obvious forms of marketing and money playing a simple, easily managed role in all forms of judged sport. But of course, that couldn't happen in the X-games...

Newsflash, sport, especially any judged by a panel, is a heaving mess of corruption and lies and deceit. Disbelieve it if you want to, it isn't my problem.

Quote:
You are the reason that all of us in our "alternative" sports have such a so called "elitist" attitude. If you had any sort of knowledge about ANY aspect of skiing, be it racing, or "proper ski jumping", I would have taken your post more seriously, and attempted to have a discussion with you about it.
I kinda doubt that, but then I never claimed to have any sort of knowledge, and it seems anything I would have typed after you got a bee in your bonnet would have been roundly ignored anyway, because it doesn't fit your personally decided logic pattern.

Quote:
however, you decided that you decide exactly what kind of event would measure a skier's ability
No, I was wondering why the person who didn't jump the furthest was ending up ahead because of "style", you know, like in any other olympic sport of a similar stature. Long jump, discuss, bobsleigh, all competed for by being faster, or further than the opponents, not being judged "better" by a faceless committee. You decided to take that as an excuse to open both barrels.

Quote:
without any knowledge on the subject at all, and then have the nerve to call ME elitist?
I'm not allowed to say I prefer ski jumping because I don't appreciate the ability it takes to do a mogul. Your words, slightly paraphrased, but your words. Yes, I think that's an elitist attitude.

Quote:
I can afford to act like I know all there is to know about the sport, because I do. If I couldn't back up that claim, I wouldn't be making posts like that.
Congratulations. I was not aware of any post made that questioned your knowledge of or dedication to the sport.

Quote:
You on the other hand made an arrogant post about how unfair and unreliable ALL freestyle competitions are, based on an incredibly shallow and superficial view of skiing.
"Shallow and superficial" view of all sports involving a judging panel actually. Boxing, gymnastics, ballroom dancing, the whole lot. ALL completely open to misuse, always have been. To try and claim otherwise is just frighteningly naive.

Quote:
So don't try and tell me that I took your post out of context to push my own agenda.
Er you did, because...

Quote:
You were the one who claimed to know something about freeskiing
... I didn't. Really, I'd like to see the comment, and the context which makes it a proclamation of my knowledge on freeskiing.

Quote:
, you were the one who denounced the entire sport
If I wanted to denounce the entire sport I'd have said it was boring and I just wanted to see someone crash a luge. I'd have thought every post I'd made in this thread showed that, to me, the Winter Olympics are about as important as something to watch to kill some time before I go to bed. Even then, I hardly see how calling something boring is "denouncing" the entire sport and worthy of these bizarre outbursts with no real focus nor direction.

Quote:
Would you like a detailed account of every single technical aspect of Ski Jumping? Would you like to know exactly how an athlete is chosen to compete in the olympics? I'd be able to tell you that, and I'm sure it would give you a better understanding of how ski jumping is not by any standards the best measure of a skier's jumping ability.
To be quite honest with you, no. I'd like to know why there was a competition on my tellybox last night where people were doing ski jumping, and being awarded marks for style (out of 20 from each judge) as well as distance, even when a competition solely based on distance exists. That was all I posted to enquire about. It puzzled me and I wondered why it happened. Apparently that makes me an arrogant proclaimer of knowledge.