Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #661 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Lulz. At least the early Dredd stories go ****ing hard with lampooning America. Got plenty right too.

And I guess British copyright laws are different from American ones. Those strips would clearly fall under fair use as a satire over here. Or at least I hope they would. They were American companies, so I dunno.
Controversy[edit]
The Cursed Earth caused a lawsuit involving the publishers of 2000 AD, McDonald's, Burger King, and the Jolly Green Giant. Four episodes in the series, written by John Wagner and Jack Adrian, featured trade marked characters used without permission.[2] One storyline depicted wars between rival gangs, headed by the Burger King and Ronald McDonald – including scenes of Ronald executing a gang member who spilled a milkshake. The owners of these characters objected to the use of their trademarks and sued. Publishers IPC settled out of court, publishing a half-page retraction and agreeing never to reprint the offending episodes.[3]
In 2014 the law was changed to implement a European directive on copyright law allowing the use of copyright-protected characters for parody.[4][5] As a result, Rebellion Developments announced in 2015 that it would re-publish the suppressed episodes for the first time in a book to be published in July 2016.[6]