Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #133 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: In the Passing Light of Day
Artist: Pain of Salvation
Genre: Progressive Metal
Nationality: Swedish
Release date: January 13
Position in Discography: Tenth
Fear Factor: Very Low
Familiar with this artist? Somewhat
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Very
Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Always
Finally, something I can get on board with right away. Pain of Salvation are hardly my favourite prog metal band, but at least they're more in my wheelhouse than about eighty percent of what I've listened to so far here. Weird to think that the main man wrote this while half-expecting to die in hospital. Very poignant: reminds me of the circumstances behind Redemption's This Mortal Coil. I will say, opening and closing with ten-minute-plus tracks is a slightly risky strategy, but then after ten albums I guess they have their loyal fanbase. I just feel that might scare off someone checking out the band for the first time. Well that first ten minute track has gone in quicker than I expected. The difference when you're into the music, huh?

Yeah, Pain of Salvation are still far from the top as regards prog metal bands for me, but I'm getting to like them better since I discounted them after listening to One Hour By the Concrete Lake. I would probably need to go deeper into this to get the proper appreciation of the album, but as it stands it's pretty damn good.

Expectation Index: 0

Last edited by Trollheart; 09-21-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Trollheart is online now   Reply With Quote