Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #137 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: GTTM: Goin Thru the Motions
Artist: PnB Rock
Genre: Hip-Hop/Trap/R&B
Nationality: American
Release date: January 13
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Not much
Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? No
Question: what's the best way to piss me off from the beginning of an album? I'll give you a clue: it begins with “auto” and ends in “tune”. God how I ****ing hate that process! Given that this is a hip-hop album anyway, this is not a good way to get me onside, and I'm not. Not from track one anyway, but we'll see if it gets any better. It would want to. One thing about this: it's a debut. Why does he have to have some many (presumably) established singers help him out? Can he not do this on his own? You seldom if ever see a rock or even pop album released as a debut where famous stars all add their voices; why is it this way in hip-hop? Surely this is watering down the effect of having your first album out, as maybe people are buying it for the star names and not your music?

I'll allow that it's gone from annoying to tolerable, so that's an improvement I suppose. “Playa No More” is a decent song, even despite the thrice-cursed Autotune. God how I hate that! Have I mentioned how much I hate it? I really hate it. Just so you know. Oh wait: “Selfish” is excellent. Never thought you'd hear me saying that, did you? Frankly, never thought I'd hear myself saying that. But it is really good. A real atmosphere to the song. “Notice Me” is nice too, like the organ. I think were it not for the Autotune I could possibly have a higher opinion of this, but it's really hard to listen to a voice so heavily modulated and you wonder what they really sound like without the technology.

You know though, it's not terrible; seems more like r&b or soul to me, rather than hip-hop, but then, what do I know? Not a big fan of actual speech (as opposed to a rap against music) in songs, so “Smile” doesn't have that effect on me; not that great a track anyway. Well, basically I don't hate this but I sure wouldn't be too interested in hearing any more. Meh.

Expectation Index: 2

Last edited by Trollheart; 09-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote