Music Banter - View Single Post - Racism (Yeah, that's right: I'm callin' it!)
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #538 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
The question you presented it doesn't have any effect on.
It doesn't change the way race relations are viewed one bit. You might feel like it is beneath you but others like celebrating black pride and there is nothing wrong with it. Rooting for successful over achieving Italians if you are one just feels good. You don't want to associate yourself with that tribal feeling but it is within you.

Also those friends associate integration with the decline of black owned businesses and the destruction of Black Wall Street. I watched a documentary called Black Friday that showcased when big box stores like Woolworths came around along with segregation ending. Black people ending up taking their purchasing power elsewhere. They would go to Pete's to buy ice under the assumption that his was colder than the previous black business they would purchase from. It eventually became a status symbol to purchase from white businesses.
100%. It's simply base human psychology and if it weren't we probably would have died out or something. It's just in the current cultural climate that tribalism has become untenable. "Ending racism" isn't so much about realizing that races are equal so much as it is implementing the idea in spite of our inborn and learned prejudices. The biggest hurdle to inclusiveness and multiculturalism is the human race admitting to a man that, yes, we are all racist to at least some degree, rather than fighting the idea while claiming that each of us are color blind.

I guess that's why racist politics are so easy. It's second nature to people to plan by virtue of similarities whereas this new way of living in a society feels counter-intuitive to our most base proclivities.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote