Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #5647 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Continues to explore anime.

Spoiler for Attack on Titan:
On the contrary, I loved this. The primary characters are admittedly a bit lacking in the charisma department, but the story is compelling and contains next to no filler. I think the series really demonstrates how to mete out information to an audience. It's loaded with quick-paced action and some beautiful animation. Having a difficult time waiting until the next season.

Spoiler for Neon Genesis Evangelion:
I have always understood this to be one of anime's classic series, howeverrrrrr... I have a low tolerance for tonal shifts, whiny characters, unanswered questions, and deliberately confusing endings. I wanted to like this because I'm supposed to like it, but it didn't resonate with me and the last 2 minutes of End of Evangelion made me want to put my fist through my laptop screen.

I also have a deep seated hatred of Freudian psychology that probably made the experience a lot worse than it needed to be, but I can't hold that against Batty or Frowny because I don't think anybody knew that about me.

I'm sorry. I feel genuinely bad about it.

Spoiler for Baccano!:
This was straight up fun. I wish it'd been a hair longer, just so we could really get deeper into the colossal cast of characters, but apart from that, it was such a fun story. Baccano is a different sort of confusing from Evangelion in that it's convoluted, but still provides the vast majority of information necessary to sort out a story told through 18 characters intersecting over 3 different time periods all at the same time. It's "confusing" the way Inception and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency are "confusing", not in the way David Lynch is confusing.

Spoiler for Cowboy Bebop:
This is another classic that let me down. There was nothing really wrong with it (I liked the characters and the world, and it was fun), but every episode was just a bunch of people doing random crap. I just prefer serialized story telling and I wish there'd been a stronger series arc than ~4 episodes in total pertaining to Vicious and the Syndicate.

Currently watching

Spoiler for Stein's Gate:
Too early to tell how it's gonna be. It's mildly interesting, but the characters are all really flat, except for the lead character, who is a ginormous tool. It's one of those ones that's going to depend on the ending, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He certainly is a right and selfish twat. His character is probably one of the best examples of hubris in art that I can think of.
I have to agree with you. I can hate a character, but admit that they're an amazing piece of work because they elicited that reaction from me.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote