Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #174 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Gold
Artist: Jessie James Decker
Genre: Country Pop
Nationality: American
Release date: January 17 (finally moving on, thank Christ!)
Position in Discography: Third
Fear Factor: Low
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A little
Check out more from this artist? No ****ing way
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Maybe
I like my country with a harder edge but I can listen to etc etc you've heard it all before. At least this is only an EP, so five tracks is all I have to contend with. Country, especially country pop varies wildly from damn good to damn why did I bother? Which side of the fence does this fall on? Well it's a decent start so nothing bad to say as yet. Oh oh! Speaking of something bad to say! Why do country pop artists think it's EVER a good idea to put a reggae beat in their songs? I mean, what's the point? They're completely different styles of music: one is so white it almost glows, the other is basically reserved for those of a darker and far cooler disposition (witness ****ing UB40 for a definitive reason why white people do not need to go near reggae. Or the Police, come to think of it). Anyway this is pretty damn annoying and totally incongruous in the context of this genre. Oh, just to mix it up even more, we have steel guitar in there. Well, why ****ing not? I'll tell you why ****ing not....

Yeah, Miss Decker here (cool name, but other than that, pretty major fail here) seems a little confused as to what she wants to play. Other than the odd blast of steel guitar I don't see how this can really be considered country. It's just bargain basement pop, and not very good pop at that. This is actually painful. If it was more than five tracks I'd be bailing out, but I can hold out that long. Maybe. Guess you can get away with anything in the world of country pop. Hey! I see she was originally turned down by every major label in Nashville! Maybe they're not so stupid after all.

Expectation Index: 8