Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Tiger Army" by Tiger Army
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

This album made me think of a bunch of things, so I'll take them first.

Some singers employ this sort of forced whine/wimper with which they start every line and I just plainly don't get the appeal. It sounds awful.

Some genres of music, while I can hear that the songs are not literally the same, seem to consist largely of songs with a very particular vibe and no variety worth mentioning. Rockabilly, psychobilly, surfer rock, 50's rock-n-roll, pop punk... all of those genres seem criminally underdeveloped to me and I can't really stand any of them.

What's with the damn kickdrum on this album? It sounds awful. I have heard drummers do a similar clattering rhythm (is it even only a kick drum?), but this drummer is out of time constantly with that sound, plus it just sounds bad and is horribly mixed. Takes the cake for being the most baffling production choice I've encountered in quite a while.

It really is quite astounding how much variety there is in the complete musical landscape. I'd say I have fairly broad tastes, but there's still so many genres out there that offer all sorts of specialized listening experiences that I haven't heard or haven't developed any appreciation for. I definitely can't say that I'm one of those rare music geeks who like everything. I really do have pretty specific tastes if you take the entirety of what exists into account. This Tiger Army album has personality and it's going to be someone's favorite thing ever. To me, it's doing nothing at all that I want from an album.
I should definitely remind myself from time to time that I'm not as worldly and open minded as I sometimes think I am. If you hold my musical tastes against all music that exists out there, I've barely got wider tastes than your average top 40 radio listener. There would barely be any difference, if you calculated it as a percentage.

I could write a long list of genres I don't like, and psychobilly would be on that list as one of the first.

It's basically hard to talk about the album itself when I have no relationship with the genre. The songs sound largely the same to me. One was a bit more country. Some a bit more punk. But they evoke the same unappealing mood to me all the same.

Not only do I not like this album or even the whole genre, but I'm not going to bother even trying to like it.

At least I got the humbling experience of being reminded how I can't really say that I'm all that musically open minded. I try out lots of new things, but I also very much know what I'm looking for and what I don't like. Some of you in here have vastly broader musical horizons than I have.

3/10 - not horribly annoying, but there was nothing for me here.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote