Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #217 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Yesterday's Gone
Artist: Loyle Carner
Genre: Hip-Hop
Nationality: English
Release date: January 20
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Check out more from this artist? Yes I would
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Maybe; the English version seems to be a lot more, well, civilised than the American one.
I really want to give hip-hop a chance, and the fact that this is English rather than American recalls to me The Streets album I enjoyed, so you know, maybe it won't be so bad. Well, kicking off with an African gospel chant and some pretty cool music, a rap I can understand that doesn't go a mile a minute and does not, for now, seem to be obssessed with the usage of four-letter words: this is all a good start. I'm (cautiously) optimistic. Yeah, this is damn good. Kind of more like soul (and in some cases, jazz) with a rap spoken over it. Like this a lot. “Ain't nothin' changed” is my favourite so far, but I've yet to hear something I don't like. Even the spoken ones (skits?) are good. And I usually hate them.

I love the low-key mood of this: Loyle hardly ever raises his voice and he never spits angrily. Much prefer this kind of hip-hop. The music is excellent too. I could be a fan of this. I could. This goes between funk, soul and jazz. Nice.

Expectation Index: 10