Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #223 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Return to Ommadawn
Artist: Mike Oldfield
Genre: Progressive Rock/Ambient/Folk Rock/World Music
Nationality: English
Release date: January 20
Position in Discography: Twenty-sixth
Fear Factor: Very Low
Familiar with this artist? Very
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Very
For the second time I'm breaking my rule about not listening to an album if it's not in the two usual places. I'm quite familiar with Mike Oldfield and, as this is not available through Spotify and YT comes up similarly empty, and as I'd be buying it anyway, I've purchased it to listen to here. Anyone remember when albums could be two songs long, one each side? No? Sod you then; I do, and this is just one such, with the simple titles of Part One and Part Two, and of course it's all instrumental. This is a followup to Oldfield's 1975 third album, Ommadawn, which itself is I think a play on an old Irish word for idiot, amadan.

Well it's classic Oldfield, and you either like that or you don't. I do find there's perhaps a little too much emphasis on the Celtic side of things – lots of flutes, uileann pipes, that sort of thing – and it's very laid back and almost ambient. Probably send a lot of people to sleep. Personally, I prefer it when there's a little life in his music, and while this is great and very enjoyable, it is a little dull in comparison to the likes of Five Miles Out or Crises...

Check out more from this artist? I must do, yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

NO YOUTUBES AVAILABLE OTHER THAN CRAPPY COVER VERSIONS, WHICH CAN SUCK MY COCK.
Expectation Index: 1