Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Tori Amos - Native Invader (singer/songwriter)(2017)

I'm sure this wasn't on anyone elses list of albums to look out for in 2017, but for me, the release of this album was a highly anticipated event. There's only a couple artists I expect so much from, that the many months long wait is excruciating.

Now I'm finally listening to this album on my stereo and I'm trying to figure out what I think about it. First thing that springs to mind is that musically, it's most directly comparable to the two older albums of her's American Doll Posse and Abnormally Attracted to Sin. I'm only 1 time through the album, so I don't actually have any idea how good it is yet. There were some clear highlights for sure, not least the opening track Reindeer King.
I'm going to have to listen to this one a lot more over the coming days, but I can say that I quite like the variety of sounds these songs employ. The album isn't going to please anyone who thinks she lost her appeal back in the 90's, because this is very much a 2000's Tori Amos album in style and sound. As far as I know, she's well over 50 years old, but her voice is still as strong and appealing as ever. Her singing is chilly - ice cold in fact, and some people hate that. Some would find it shrill, but I find her voice to be uniquely appealing.

I've got no clue where this will end up sitting in my end-of-year-ranking, but I trust that the album will grow on me, as her albums always do.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote