Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #277 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: After All These Years
Artist: Brian and Jenn Johnson
Genre: CCM/Worship
Nationality: American
Release date: January 27
Position in Discography: Fourth
Fear Factor: Pretty Damn High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: N/A
Satan preserve me! It's the God Squad! I've listened to Christian Rock, Christian Pop and now it seem I have to be subjected to Christian Contemporary Music, also known as Worship Music. I've got to admit, the opening track is just a beautiful ballad, and while I see Jesus's name in one of the track titles, I don't hear it being mentioned here, so perhaps we're again looking at a sort of low-key kind of worship? We'll see. Jenn has a lovely voice, but though this is entirely driven on piano there's no credit for that. How odd. The phased vocals on “The Mention of Your Name” are really nice too. OK, there's the Big Man being namechecked for the first time, but to be fair, there's nothing bad I can say about this so far. In fact, gosh darn it, I'm really enjoying it. I guess if you look past the religious theme in the lyrics and just enjoy the songs on their own merits, it's not that hard to get something out of this. As I say, she's a hell of a singer, and again I really rate whomever it is that's on that piano.

Oh, now we get Brian on vocals and dammit, he's a good singer too. If I have a beef with this album thus far it's that everything – and I mean everything – has been slow and relaxed. And I thought Aquilo had a lot of slow songs! Pick up the pace a little people! Praise your god! Or not. But inject a little enthusiasm and excitement into ... no. Another slow piano song. Oh well. I do like the picture painted of Jesus as something of a bad boy vandal in “I Won't Forget” - You came in the night and tore down the walls. Go Jesus, ya good thing ya! Yeah but it seems it'll all be slow songs. Good though. I know everyone would like me to **** all over this because it's worship music, but screw you guys, I'm going home. I mean, this is quite enjoyable. Listen with an open mind and block out the lyrics or use other interpretations and you'll see. Big surprise to be honest.
Check out more from this artist? I actually think I might
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Depends

Expectation Index: 10