Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #20290 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Delicatessen over City of Lost Children?

Anyways, I've been slowly watching my way through the non-Dead films by George A. Romero. I started with his 1978 Martin which I quite enjoyed, and I decided to move on to Monkey Shines

The movie is about an athlete named Allan who is rendered quadriplegic after being hit by a large vehicle while out on a jog. His friends and family don't really know how to console him in a dignified way and mostly start to drift away while his mother starts to baby him. One friend however, one friend who happens to be a scientist has been secretly doing experiments on capuchin monkeys by injecting human brains into them, making them incredibly intelligent, and thus supplies Allan with one. The helper monkey, named Ella, starts off as just a means of making life easier for Allan, but they create a deeper bond after Ella turns on the stereo and begins dancing to some music. Eventually though, a sort of telepathic link between Allan and Ella is formed, with Ella essentially becoming Allan's id, and she begins to attack and kill the people Allan think has slighted him.

That's a pretty decent hook, and the fact that Allan is quadriplegic makes him even more vulnerable. As with Martin, the way the movie was shot is quite a bit different from his Dead movies, which all felt more like they were made in editing from lots of b roll footage. It wasn't an especially scary movie, and it ends on a super lame jump scare that's so emblematic of horror movies these days. I dunno if I'd recommend it, but it's definitely an interesting take on horror, and an interesting film from one of Hollywood's most underrated talents.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote