Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Watching Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #111 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Spoiler for Paedantic Basterd continues to casually review anime.:

Stein's Gate: This would have been amazing if the characters weren't annoying as **** and the leading male wasn't a ginormous tool. The second half was great, but the first half was a slog to get through. 7/10, potential kinda wasted.

Soul Eater: I'm a fifth of the way in and I think I might dump this one. I'm not interested in episodic story-telling where the series-long arc is something vague like "get strong" or "defeat all the things". Also not a big fan of how the series treats its female characters. The women in this series tolerate too much casual sexual assault. I don't have the patience for that ****.

Black Bullet: 2/13 episodes. Again, the treatment of female characters borders on gross and there's a disturbing amount of casual pedophilia going on in the story. Furthermore, the exposition is clunky as ****: Instead of showing the viewer the past, two characters who both know what's going on stand around and go "hey remember all these important plot points that you and I both know but we have to say out loud because the audience doesn't know?" Thhhbbbppppt. EDIT: Also, the principle villain wants to destroy the world. Wtf is up with villains who want to destroy the world? ****ing WHY? You realize that if you destroy everything there's going to be nothing after that right? What kind of motivation IS that? JUST COMMIT SUICIDE IT'S MORE OR LESS THE SAME RESULT FOR YOU

Interestingly, all these series (and Death Note and Evangelion before this) treat their female characters horribly, so I'm beginning to think it's cultural and not just bad luck with the recommendations I've received. It's enough that I'm starting to think maybe we should just set fire to Japan?

What's the deal? It's not hard to write a good female character, and what's more, they're popular. See: Attack on Titan & Fullmetal Alchemist (either version). These are some of the biggest hits in anime and they don't rely on fanservice at any point.

I guess I just got lucky with three consecutive good-finds, cuz since then it's been a load of crap.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote