Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #5703 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedantic Basterd View Post
How do you folks decide when to drop a series? I've got a bunch of things on the go that are honestly not that appealing, but I also have issues with closure and a compulsive need to finish things after I start them, which means that I waste a lot of time on straight garbage, whether it's music, series, books, or movies. I mean, I've been reading The Stand since 2011 and still can't admit to myself that I quit reading it.

So, what determines the cutpoint for you? At what point do you know that the satisfaction of completing something cannot make up for the time you invested in it?
I think the important thing is that you need to have characters you care about. After all, if you don't care about someone, how can you have a reaction when they're in danger/killed/get dumped etc? Character is king for me. As my Sky box has only 1 terabyte of space (sounds a lot, but it isn't really) space is also an issue for me. I have currently about 11% left, so I'm constantly looking either for things I will never watch, have tried and don't like, or can be watched any other way (Netflix, Plex etc). I usually go for 1 - 3 episodes, though sometimes after 1 I can be done if there's nothing there for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
These days with so much competing media and acclaimed series' that people tell me "I just hafta watch", my threshold is pretty low. I'd say for TV shows it's about 3-4 episodes, maybe more if the episodes are short. With books it kind of depends, but usually if I'm not hooked within the first 100 pages I'll ditch it. In rare instances the book becomes my "in betweener" book, just something I read when I'm between books. It kind of sounds like The Stand is your version of that, which is commendable. For me it was The Godfather by Mario Puzo, by god was that thing a chore to get through.
Jesus yes! I was enjoying it up until the completely unnecessarily-graphic description of what he could do with a woman's pelvic floor, and after that I really didn't care any more. Never finished it.