Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #6877 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
The second scenario is fictionalized but I truly feel like this is how a lot of people respond when they hear of news like this overseas.
Immediately made me think about the Pulse nightclub shooting. 49 shot and killed at a gay bar by a dude with an Arabic name. The dude hated blacks, hispanics, and gays. He killed out of homophobia and an insecurity about his own sexuality (many who knew him thought he was a closeted gay and hated himself for it). No signs at all pointed to Islam.

In the aftermath, the majority of the attention was not about those who were killed, not about the massive scope of the tragedy, but all about the fact that the killer had one of those funny sounding Muslim names. Pissed me off so bad at the time.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote