Music Banter - View Single Post - The Afterlife
Thread: The Afterlife
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'm not sure that's the case. Unless I'm missing some joke here (and I feel I am but I have no idea what it is) monks tend to live in enclaves, communes typically located in temples, monasteries and abbeys. I'm not aware of them living wild in the forest, though I suppose there could be some. Think they'd be more hermits though than monks. Not that I know the first thing about monks really. Peace-loving bastards.
^ I hope this clarifies things a little:-

My dictionary:

Quote:
monk = member of a community of men living together under religious vows in a monastery
Wikipedia on Simeon Stylites (the guy on the pillar):

Quote:
According to Theodoret, Bishop of Cyrrhus, Simeon developed a zeal for Christianity at the age of 13, following a reading of the Beatitudes. He entered a monastery before the age of 16. Simeon was so obsessed with Christianity, he almost gave his body away to God. From the first, he gave himself up to the practice of an austerity so extreme and to all appearance so extravagant, that his brethren judged him to be unsuited to any form of community life. They asked Simeon to leave the monastery.
YouTube search results: