Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #321 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Godspeed
Artist: Morten Schantz
Genre: Jazz
Nationality: Danish
Release date: January 27
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: Moderate
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: N/A
Well holy good ****! Finally, a jazz album on the list that I can actually listen to and review! You guys probably think I've been avoiding the jazz albums on this list so far, but I promise I haven't. I've actually been wanting to hear all of them, but apart from that Vietnamese one, every time I've gone looking for one it has been nowhere to be found. I wonder is it a thing with jazz artists? This is the first one I've found on Spotify and it's apparently his debut. I of course know very little about jazz so it's hard to discuss the merits of this. All I can say is that it's cool, laidback, smooth with a capital smoo. Very nice. The sax is low and mournful rather than frenetic and annoying, the piano is lovely, the percussion nicely measured. Again, I know sod-all about jazz but at times this seems to sound anything like that, as on “Martial Arts”, where it very definitely veers off in quite a proggy direction, then quite spacey and sort of experimental for “Airglow”. This guy has a lot in his locker. This is pretty damn sweet.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Possibly, yes

Expectation Index: 5