Music Banter - View Single Post - Welcome to New York - Rolling Stones
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
RSI
Groupie

I did some searching during lunch and I found the below. The number on the one I have is in fact TMoQ RS-546-A/B. I just don't know if its the mono or stereo press. I seem to recall that it does have the full wide range response so I'm guessing stereo.

"The Madison Square Garden performance on July 26, 1972 is one of those fine moments in Rolling Stones live recorded history. Perhaps it's the fact that it was Jagger's 29th birthday that made such a difference. The energy and delivery of the performance is captured in an incredible "line" soundboard stereo recording. The "wide" stereo separation features Richards and keyboards on the left, Taylor on the right, drums and vocal in the middle, and horns split between the two channels. Interestingly enough it's the original vinyl discs that provide the basis for sound benchmarks of the CD recordings. The reason for this is that the tape source for the incredible vinyl LP's first issued by Trade Mark of Quality (TMoQ) out of greater Los Angeles county has never turned-up in tape trading circles. With this in mind one can only look for the finest sound reproduction on CD's made from the old LP's. The finest CD copy of the original "Welcome To New York" LP ends up on an unusual recording and not The Swingin' Pig as one might expect. The original LP's were issued by the TMoQ label in several variations with matrix numbers that identify original mono issues from later "wide" stereo issues. The running order of the songs also varies from the original RS-546 matrix number.

The earliest New York 1972 show releases in Mono:

Mfr.: First generation TMoQ

Matrix Number: RS-546-A/B

Vinyl: Orange"

Last edited by RSI; 10-04-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: updated post
RSI is offline   Reply With Quote