Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #327 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Smash
Artist: Stephen Pearcy
Genre: Heavy Metal/Glam Metal
Nationality: American
Release date: January 27
Position in Discography: Seventh
Fear Factor: Low
Familiar with this artist? No, though I've heard Ratt
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Quite a bit, yes
Average RYM Score: 3.15
A solo album from the founder of Ratt, eh? Well, at least this should hold some enjoyment after some of the dross I've had to put up with over the last two days. Meh, I have to admit I'm disappointed at the start. It's a little boring, no fire, no energy, no anger. Doesn't he care about all those brothers of his being caught in traps every day? Rodent poison? There's a lot to get worked up about but he, well, isn't. Opener “I Know I'm Crazy” sounds anything but, and “Shut Down Baby” is just one long borefest of cliches and metal tropes. Sigh. Well, there are still, what, ten tracks to go, so maybe it'll improve, but not a good beginning.

“Dead Roses” is dead boring, and shamelessly rips off the main guitar riff and chorus melody from “Enter Sandman”, while “Lollipop” is just flat-out embarrassing. I question the need for this album: if he was just going to write another Ratt album, what's the point, and that is exactly what this sounds like. Heard Out of the Cellar? Detonator? Reach For the Sky? You've heard this album. For dedicated Ratt fans only I fear, and even then... Time to put this rat out of his misery, and me out of mine. Lord! Three in a row! And this is the most disappointing, as I didn't anticipate bailing, but here I go!

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 10