Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #387 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Volume 1: Flick Your Tongue Against Your Teeth and Describe the Present
Artist: Bedwetter
Suggested by: Qwertyy
Genre: Hip-Hop/Experimental Hip-Hop
Nationality: American
Release date: January 29
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: Critical
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.42
The last and only time I tried experimental hip-hop it was Death Grips, and, well, who can guess at what my reaction was? At least this only has nine tracks, and none are too long so we'll see how it goes. Stange opening with a spoken passage from the beginning of the Bible, then the first actual track is pretty good really, very stripped down but it works well. Like the atmosphere on “Stoop Lights” (not “Stop Lights”, no? Fair enough. No idea what stoop lights are though...) - this is good stuff. The guitar (yes, guitar) on “Fondly Eulogizing Sleep” is great; think this is instrumental? Yep. Very nice indeed, and unexpected. “Branch”, however, is a little too discordant for my tastes, but the next one makes up for it: another instrumental, would you believe? And a good one too.

What the hell? “Haze of Interference” goes from an angry rant (spit?) to a dreamy, relaxing almost orchestral wave of music with soft, almost breathy singing to take you out. ****ing superb. “This is Not My Stomach” then, sounds like something Frownland or Merzbow would put out; very weird. And a lovely piano piece to end. A very interesting and at times quite brilliant album, and a real surprise for me. Thanks Q-Man!

Check out more from this artist? I may very well do
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? I'm less afraid to now

Expectation Index: 10

Last edited by Trollheart; 10-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote