Music Banter - View Single Post - InterGender Sports
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #93 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
Norway will pay their male and female football teams the same - BBC Sport

I do not see how this can be justified. Money comes from things like sponsorship, TV rights, ticket sales, tournament prize money and so on - which are worth nothing in the woman's game.

Should the u21s and u18s be paid the same as the full teams? If not, why not? #PayThemEqually

Oh and this might be fine in Norway but how's it going to work in England, Germany, Italy?
i have this arguement with my sister all the time. our (canada's) women's team does much better than the men's team does, like, they're actually decent. but ofc despite being a top 5 ranked team by FIFA The FIFA Women's World Ranking - FIFA.com they make significantly less. i try to explain to her why it has very little to do with sexism in the sport itself and more to do with the fact that the vast majority of spectators consider men's sports to be more entertaining, but she doesn't get it. i don't necessarily think one sex should make more than the other but considering athletes are primarily paid through private businesses owners, tv revenue, sponsorships, etc, popularity essentially defines how much income you have.

i think a large part of this stretches past skill as well, as an athlete who has a large following, regardless of how good he is, is more likely to attract the big brand names. i think Paul Pogba is the best example I can think of. he's a great player, but atm he is not on the same level as a Luka Modric or Radja Nainggolan imo. Yet, I can almost guarantee he makes more money than the pair of them (Radja for sure, would assume Luka too) because of his personality and antics that have led him to his many brand deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote