Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #451 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: G4 Love Songs
Artist: G4
Genre: Popera (would you believe?)
Nationality: English
Release date: February 3
Position in Discography: Fifth
Fear Factor: Moderate
Familiar with this artist? Had the misfortune to see them on the X Factor; other than that, no
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Didn't even know it existed
Average RYM Score: N/A
As I say in the notes, the first and only time I saw boyband G4 was when I was forced to watch the X Factor with my sis, at a time when she could make it down the stairs and I could hardly leave her on her own, so I had to suffer this and other programmes I would rather saw my head off than watch. As it happens, when G4 appeared I expected a run-of-the-mill boyband, so was pleasantly (at the time) surprised when they all started singing acapella in tenor voices. It was different. It was interesting. But there's a reason why the likes of The Flying Pickets had one or two hits and were then forgotten about: it's a novelty that very quickly wears off. Apparently, G4 have had five albums, including this, so I guess someone's buying their music. Here, they engage star talent such as opera singer Lesley Garrett and, um, Merril Osmond. Ah. Yeah. They also decide, rather unwisely in my opinion, to tackle Meat Loaf's “I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)” as the opening track, and it's pretty limp and uninspiring. Garrett's a recognised star but she's wasted here.

I don't know: it's very overblown and I'm sure if you were watching this live it would be very powerful and dramatic and impressive, but it's not really something I want to listen to for another nine or ten songs. I think I've had enough. It's pretty easy to predict how they're going to handle songs like “I Don't Want To Miss a Thing”, “Can't Help Falling in Love”, “I'll Be There” and the unjustly-hated “Everything I do (I Do it For You)”. I don't think I need to hang around to see how those opuses turn out under the treatment these guys are handling them with. Not for me thanks.

Check out more from this artist? Absolutely not
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? No thank you

Expectation Index: 6