Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #7421 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
All the morality in the world didn't end slavery in the U.S. It was only largely criticized and abolished after wealthy northerners figured out that doing so would destroy the south's economy, thus stripping them of their political power.
That presupposes a pure top-down model of social change. One that's simply not born out by the facts. Abolitionists existed in every social class. The Emancipation Proclamation had a political component sure, but so does buying one stamp over another.

I'm a cynical guy too, but this kind of cynicism isn't helpful. It also doesn't appear to be true. This kind of cynicism removes agency. It tells people, 'don't try, because the result are predetermined'. Truman defeated Dewey. Bush defeated Gore. Abortion rights were granted and preserved. The Civil Rights Act was passed. Clean Air, Clean Water, the Renewable Fuel Standard, the Environmental Protection Agency, NAFTA, NATO, etc etc etc. All of these things have made us safer, wealthier, and healthier. Has it been a straight line? No. Has the broad trend of history resulted in a better society? Yes. Has representative democracy been largely responsible for these gains? Also yes. Why? AGENCY.

I think part of this the media distortion about Washington D.C.'s importance. Hardly any governing worth doing emanates from Washington, and I say this as a liberal. It's about getting a speed bump in your home town, or keeping the local library open on Saturday. Hell, it's increasing the funding for your local library. I've volunteered on local and state election campaigns and have seen first hand the value of participating in the system, especially when it's local. Anecdotal to be sure, but everyone here is making sweeping statements about how voting is for fools. I feel obligated to point out the benefits of actually giving a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Oh, and please don't reduce yourself to resorting to the "If you can't do it better, or find a better alternative, then shut up" argument. Reminds me of the guy that always gets butthurt when you don't like his favorite movie, and he tells you to try making a better one, as if people can't have opinions unless they jump through all the proper arbitrary hoops.
If you're advocating for the rejection of representative democracy, it's incumbent on you to propose an alternative. Unless you're simply advocating for no government, in which case I'll stop replying to you.