Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #7275 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Because rich people have ideals just like we do, except they have the clout to make those ideals a reality. Obama promised the right things to the right people, and successfully funded his campaign. Looks like this time the conservatives were the ones who threw their money and promises around harder. Sometimes the liberals win, sometimes the republicans win, but either way, both benefit from this system where people are polarized between joining one side or the other.

My point isn't that there is some shadowy room in washington where rich people hang out and make decisions. Hardly. My point is that most of the wealthy in America are connected to either the liberals or the conservatives, and get richer off of their constituents. They benefit from funneling people into one of two sides.

Of course, as soon as someone suggests a system more similar to what Trollheart described is in place in Ireland, where people have more options, and there's more transparency with their local politicians and local issues, both the liberals and the conservatives get angry.

On a smaller level, our system can work well. Our govt has been forced into either backing down or changing systems they wanted to implement by the work of independents and coalitions of same. A good example is the water charges, which were finally defeated and thrown out, but only because of the work of independents who actually did what they were elected to do.