Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #480 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Louder!
Artist: Sofia Reyes
Genre: Latin Pop (um)
Nationality: Mexican
Release date: February 3
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: Moderate
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: N/A
I guess this isn't going to stretch the artistic creativity envelope too far. Oh look: she's employing reggae beats by the second track. The first was a throwaway sub-Kesha pop dance tune, but this is, surprisingly, better. She's doing that annoying thing K-pop artists do, which is sing half in English and half in her own language (Spanish I guess), which makes it hard to follow. I mean, if I know the song is in a non-English language, that's fine, but when I can catch words or even lines in English, it's a little disorienting, and I don't know why people do it. Now we have a ballad, a duet with some guy who likes to use Autotune (though she doesn't seem to need it). It's all right to be fair. Some decent tracks, but it's not really till we get to the title track that I feel a real Latin vibe to the music. I mean, some of the tracks have been all, or partly, in Spanish, but they read like any disco/dance hit an American or British diva would have. This one at least has that salsa style beat. Quite decent, though it does sound like she's singing “Chowder!”

I guess generally it's pretty inoffensive music. I don't hate it, and she can sing (and write) but it's really not the kind of thing I'd be listening to were it not for this thread. “Llegaste TĂș” sounds like something Mexico might enter for the Eurovision, if they were allowed. There are a few good songs as I say but basically it's throwaway pop, the same sort of thing you've probably heard a million times before.

Check out more from this artist? Ah, probably not
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? I doubt it

Expectation Index: 2