Music Banter - View Single Post - Brit Awards 2006
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Default New Golden Age Of British Music ?

So with the Brit awards tonight all i`m seeing lately is people going on about how record sales of British artists are up & how this is supposed to be a golden age of british music.And I think to myself , what utter bollocks.
Now this may be me being a cynical old fart but how anyone can say how great British music is now is beyond me. I remember the mid 90s when we had albums like Whats The Story Morning Glory , Parklife , Dog Man Star , Different Class , The Bends , I Should Coco & Music For The Jilted Generation all coming out within about a year or so of each other.And I just don`t think today compares to that in the slightest.Let`s have a look at who this 'Golden Age' is represented by......

Kaiser Cheifs - Not bad have a couple of good singles but I don`t see them as being anything special.

James Blunt - Sappy singer songwriter who doesn`t even write his own songs.

Arctic Monkeys - I`ll reserve judgement for now but I have a sneaking suspicion that the only reason people are talking so much about them is because there`s not that much else around at the moment.

KT Tunstall - I`ve not seen ANYBODY say anything good about her that isn`t in the media... nuff said

Jack Johnson - Who ?

Gorillaz - Couple of good tunes but Albarns been around over 15 years now , hardly new.

Hard Fi - Saw them live around this time last year playing with The Departure , Tom Vek & Graham Coxon. I`ve never seen a crowd act so indifferent to a band.There were more people at the bar than at the front of the stage , yet everybody was really into the other 3 bands.hmmmm.

Coldplay - The next U2 , will still carry on selling albums by the bucketload & winning awards even when they put out totally sh*t albums.

Franz Ferdinand - Does anybody actually remember their 2nd album?

The Ordinary Boys - Horrible Jam tribute band , I hear their record sales are up about 30% due to big brother, says everything really.

So do this lot represent a new golden age or am I just a cynical old bastard

YOU DECIDE !!!!!!!!!!!

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote