Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #20353 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Oh come on, you know there's more to the presentation of a scene in a movie than what it plainly depicts. Seven has a deliberately over the top, unsettling, revolting style of presentation. Set composition, camera work, lighting, color filtering, sound design, musical cues and more all feed into this.
That's all to drive home just how twisted and demented (and brilliant) John Doe is. Imagine you're a detective working in a big city and you're completely hardened and mostly desensitized to all of the crime and violence you have to deal with on a daily basis, to the point it's pretty much become your norm.

And then Doe comes along and turns everything you thought you knew about crime, motives, violence, pre-meditation, and depravity, and turns everything inside out and upside down.

Se7en is equal parts about Doe and his master plan and Mills and Somerset slowly coming to terms with an evil that is almost beyond comprehension.

Spoiler for You've seen it, right?:
One of my favorite parts of the movie deals with the Greed and Sloth murders. M&S show the grieving widow of the carved up lawyer pictures from the crime scene and she suddenly realizes that a painting has been hung upside down. M&S go to the scene to inspect the painting for clues but come up with nothing. Then it cuts to the guy checking for prints on the wall behind where the painting was - upon seeing what's there, Mills (the rookie) leans over to Somerset (the long time veteran) and almost whispers "Have you ever seen anything like this?" The look on Freeman's face when he responds "No." says it all.

Quote:
On the subway today, a man came up to me to start a conversation. He made small talk, a lonely man talking about the weather and other things. I tried to be pleasant and accommodating, but my head hurt from his banality. I almost didn't notice it had happened, but I suddenly threw up all over him. He was not pleased....... and I couldn't stop laughing.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 10-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote