Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #20359 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Let me put it this way: To me, Zodiac is the matured version of Seven. Gone is the focus on the gruesomeness, replaced by more of a focus on the characters, with only the necessary amount of screen time devoted to oh how horrible the murders are. After a point I just feel like "yes, I get get it. They're dead and the killer is sick. Move on please". That's what Zodiac does; telling a more interesting story by focusing on the parts that matter. To me, Seven is like some kind of horrific amusement park ride. "Come and see the amazing horrorible murders! Isn't that something?!" I'm being a bit reductionist, but I find that it's putting the weight too much on the wrong foot.
While I do think it a more matured style, Zodiac had cryptic murders, not gruesome ones, so they lacked that gruesome element. And yes, you're being reductionist to the point where I think you missed a good deal of the film.

Quote:
Say what? This requires an explanation.
You have pretty clear cut boundaries for what movies should do and be and I think that turns you away from a lot of great art.

And No Country for Old Men is mucho better.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote