Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #6796 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
While working at my buddy's dad's warehouse they had everyone get forklift certified and I had never even driven a car before. I learned later that I was a **** driver even after getting a license, so the forklift thing... did not go well. I ran into a pallet of stuff supposed to go onto a ship. I didn't run full into it, but I did puncture whatever the hell it was with the prongs. My supervisor was literally running behind me and screaming for me to stop. It was fun though. We were told to honk the horn if we were backing up and there was someone behind us, and when I started there was a guy RIGHT behind me, bent over and oblivious to me. So I laid on the horn hard and he literally jumped into the air and skipped a few feet away in semi-panic. A laugh was had by all and I was silently declared an idiot.
I've never been certified but I've heard the process is pretty easy, I just bugged my uncle to show me how to do it and then kind of learned along the way. One of the older forklift drivers taught me how to split packs of lumber with the forks so I didn't have to get out and load a bunch onto my forks, but outside of that most of the training I got was through trial and error. I never fucked up badly enough to be pulled off of one.

I have to imagine driving a forklift in a warehouse is a bit of a different experience, as you have to be much more aware of your immediate surroundings and blind corners and whatnot. Both of the lumberyards I've worked in had warehouses, but we had smaller forklifts that worked better in those constrained areas that it was never a problem.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that I'm a better forklift driver than you.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote