Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #262 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I do get the feeling all roads eventually lead to jazz
They don't. I'm 54 and I still don't like jazz. I can tolerate some of it, but I'd never (almost never) listen to it for pleasure. I even started a jazz journal once. It lasted, I think, eight posts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
But those who don't like free jazz (or any genre, really) mostly dismiss the genre because they are assigning inappropriate requirements that don't make sense for that genre, like expecting a jazz album to check all of the boxes of what makes a great country record. I think we've had this conversation before. Someone who listens to free jazz has a better understanding of it than someone whose knowledge of the genre is ------limited------
No I understand that: if you don't understand free jazz you don't get free jazz. But if he, or you, is or are asserting that that then makes you superior in your taste with respect to ALL OTHER genres, then no. Not liking jazz does not make you limited. It just means you don't like jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
the mainstream stereotype of jazz listeners is, funnily enough, that they have huge ego's

not that I mean to imply anything with that
Yes you do.