Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #298 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
No. I feel that Chris Squire slunked out of being at the helm of Yes when he hired Trevor to write that gaudy Pop album. Just cause Yes had the history of being Prog, it doesn't make that shlock by Trevor Rabin anything close to Prog, nor is it a great example of Prog/Pop crossover. If you want the best Prog crossover album ever than that distinction should rightfully go to Saga for Worlds Apart.
I gave you examples from 90125 of stuff that is most definitely prog-pop. Others would include 'It Can Happen' and maybe that instrumental 'Cinema" as well. So that's what, four tracks out of nine? 'Leave It' and 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' are both a little off the beaten path as well, even if neither is in 9/8 time or 20 minutes long lol...

You can hate their output from that period if you want (which is fine: I think they were hit n' miss), but that doesn't mean you can write them off as Duran Duran either, because you'd be wrong. Go look at the genre tags on RYM and other places too. I'm just stating facts.

But to be clear, I do think 90125 has a few problems. 'Hold On', 'City Of Love' (which has a cool second half to be fair) and 'Our Song' all seem average to me and hold the album back. It's a mixed bag, which is why my ideal 80's Yes album would have cherrypicked the best stuff from that writing period up til '89 and cut out the least proggy stuff.

And in regards to Squire, he's specifically got songwriting credits on seven out of the nine songs. If he wasn't doing lyrics (which I'm assuming was Anderson or Rabin depending on the song), then that means he was involved in a compositional sense or maybe he contributed to the melodies. Either way, seven out of nine is a lot for someone who "slunk" out.

Worlds Apart is a great album, no question about that.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 10-18-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote