Music Banter - View Single Post - The Spam Thread: Channel Your Need to Spam Here Only
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #15176 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Well straight edge is punk.

Yeah, I agree. But you got to remember that ICP isn't selling juggalos just music, they are selling them an identity. They are selling them the idea that this is where you belong when nobody else wants you and you have to stick up for each other. It's like that Jumpsteady song where Shaggy says, "if you see another ninja about to get into a fight that's you, that's your fight". No other hip hop culture has that element, that I've seen. ICP really did create one of the best marketing techniques seen. It breeds dedicated customers that keep them alive. There are juggalos that will support artists on that label even though they don't like the music simply because those artists are juggalos. It can also breed the violence that they never want to admit exists.
Which is why juggalos are the most ridiculous, but hip hop in general with that whole wannabe backpacker culture still is pretty goofy. I can't think of any sizeable music subculture that has such an obsession with "real hip hop/insert other genre", and I think that also bleeds into juggalo culture. Punk and metal had the same thing going on back in the day but in general that's died off. Maybe it's not what it was in hip hop though.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote