Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord's Kitchen Sink Journal of Anything and Everything He Wants to Write About
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #166 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Cryptopsy's None So Vile and why you should not give a **** about "getting" music unless you actually do

This is not a post from someone who understands the ins and outs of musical composition, because I absolutely ****ing do not and am a pleb to be obviously honest. This is not a post about how if you don't like death metal or brutal death that you are a tasteless twat. This is a post about the general nature of liking music and how you should not feel any expectations as to what you should like beyond your current taste in music, no matter how much you should hope that your taste should evolve. This is beyond obvious, especially for this forum, but I still think that even the most confident music fan can feel like they should like something simply because they've heard that they should enough times that it sinks into their subconscious that they should. Pretty sure we're all guilty of this at some point and to some extent.

Seriously, I love None So Vile. It's possibly the apex of the crossroads of brutal, intense, noisy, and complex death metal, even if it's not the apex of any of those adjectives. The energy of this brutal death metal album is simply off the charts. But I do not get probably 95% of the musicianship on display. I don't care. I'm a pleb when it comes to Cryptopsy and everything they potentially have to offer to any music fan. I love it's viciousness, I love its meandering sickness, and I love those riffs that degenerate into the most malevolent breakdowns known to man. But I do not understand it.

While this does not in any way hold back my love of the album and all that it does to my eardrums, I imagine that if I had a greater understanding of composition I would probably love it far more. For that reason I have to leave my ego at the door when I listen to it or I'd spend far too much time futilely trying to figure it out, when that simply is not within my wheel box, and that's okay. One day I might learn more about composition and love None So Vile all the more, but for the moment I simply love it for its extreme brutality and chaos. And those ****ing riffs.

I'd like to think that I am simply preaching to the choir on this forum, but I still think that the mentality that you should truly understand a piece of music before you can be considered to actually enjoy it prevails, if only in the backs of the minds of a lot of people who are not comfortable with the idea of other people understanding their favorite albums more than they do, and I'd honestly be surprised if that wasn't true of even the most sophisticated among us. To be honest this post isn't a teaching moment by a twat trying to dispense knowledge to the incompetent masses, but it's just a hopeful attempt to reinforce what you already know, if only in the backs of your minds when you're feeling a bit self-conscious about discussing something you just started liking with people who have more experience with it.

So thumbs up to you for liking **** and not feeling any obligation to like it in any certain way. Hopefully I didn't come off as a superior twat. Even though I am. Superior that is.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 10-18-2017 at 03:20 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote