Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #14607 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Geist ist Teufel by Urfaust

ahh this album. boy what can one say about it. the vocals rotate between "tortured coyote" to "man singing poorly in a cellar below you". meanwhile you have the lowest-fi, sometimes infectious (like seriously "Drudenfuß" sounds like bm pied piper shit) medieval black metal going on with it.. for about 75% of this thing

but

the real gem here is the last track. "Outro". (the title track before it leads into it perfectly. honestly the shift this album takes towards the back half is really great, even if its a bit janky). But "Outro" is one of my favorite pieces of music - i have wanted to start a journal here for a while, which is i ever do will include more of my thoughts on it. It's a 15minute looped ambient piece, so obviously not for everyone, but god damn. it's closest similarity i can think of is Die Festung by Paysage D'hiver, unsurprisingly another favorite of mine, but this one is shinier, brighter, hopeful. it doesn't convey anything remotely similar to the rest of the album or the cover art at all. this is one of those "transportive" music moments for me that you hear weirdos talk about.

This album as a whole is worth a listen merely for how interesting it is. But i could literally listen to "Outro" for hours on repeat
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote