Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #656 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Painters
Artist: Animal Collective
Genre: Experimental Pop
Nationality: American
Release date: February 17
Position in Discography: Eighth EP, eighteenth overall
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? I have heard one album. I did not like it.
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.98
Here we go with the band that seems to split this forum. Some love Animal Collective, some hate them. Me, I go on the side of the latter. I guess I wouldn't say I hate them, but I just don't get the big fuss about them. This at least is only a four-track EP, so we should be through it fairly quickly and on to the next. Well, “Bonkers” is pretty much what it sounds like: guys making “quirky” music for the sake of the quirks. Not even particularly funny or inventive, to me. And the next three tracks are ****ing blocked! Well, **** it, it's only three: let's break the rules and go looking for them individually. Oh Trollheart! You devil! Well, despite my attempt to be all anarachic, I can still only find one track on its own, this being “Jimmy Mack”, which has a nice shimmery keyboard line but then devolves into like an eighties upbeat pop tune. No, I can't in fairness comment on AC based on this, as it's only half the EP, but what I've heard hasn't changed my mind about them yet.

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? No

Expectation Index: 0