Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #667 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Great Momentum
Artist: Edenbridge
Genre: Symphonic Metal
Nationality: Austrian
Release date: February 17
Position in Discography: Ninth
Fear Factor: Non-existent
Familiar with this artist? Very
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Yes
Average RYM Score: 3.17
Finally, a band I actually like! Given the thread currently in progress about hating symphonic metal, this is probably an untimely review, but **** you all. I like Edenbridge, one of the few symphonic metal bands I do, along with Leaves' Eyes, Within Temptation and, to a slightly lesser extent, Epica. Of course there's drama, pomp and all the usual wankery you get with s/m bands, but I've always felt that Edenbridge stand a little above the vast slew of their fellow genre stablemates, and Sabine Edelsbacher is a great singer; she doesn't push it over the top as some singers in the genre do, though she can really turn it on when needed. Edenbridge also don't overuse orchestral backing, as many of their peers do, one of the things which seems to annoy people about this genre. They also have some great hooks in their songs, such as the one in “The Moment is Now”, which manages to be just radio-friendly enough to perhaps garner airplay while yet retaining enough snarling guitarwork to remind you it's very definitely metal, albeit of the symphonic kind.

Look, there's nothing terribly new or exciting here – this genre, after all, is about as innovative as Power Metal, and you shouldn't expect surprises or groundbreaking developments – but it's a decent album and, if you like this sort of thing, when they're on song Edenbridge prove here that they're among the very best the genre has to offer. If you don't like it, **** off and listen to Slayer.

Check out more from this artist? Always
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 0