Music Banter - View Single Post - Echoes of Antiquity
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

GRANNIE

album title: Grannie
released: 1971
tracklist:
  1. 00:00 - Leaving [6:32]
  2. 06:31 - Romany Refrain [4:07]
  3. 10:38 - Tomorrow Today [7:08]
  4. 17:48 - Saga Of The Sad Jester [4:32]
  5. 22:20 - Dawn [5:07]
  6. 27:28 - Coloured Armageddon [9:25]
band: Grannie
members:
  • Dave Holland – bass, vocals
  • Johnny Clark – drums
  • Jan Chandler – flute, vocals
  • John Stevenson – keyboards (tracks: B3)
  • Phil Newton– lead guitar, vocals
  • Fred Lilley – vocals
  • Producer – Dave Richardson

Grannie is a band that almost slipped into total obscurity if it weren't for vinyl enthusiast who hunt for rare releases. The album garnered for itself a reputation for its music and would show up on most sought after rare album lists. The band had an opportunity to record and receive ninety-nine LPs and one master tape all for the low of price £100. Out the ninety-nine copies only three copies were known to collectors. The reissues came from them, and with time eventually found itself on the internet. The original album had a picture of an elderly lady in a Victorian dress with a Les Paul super-imposed into I assume. I'm sure they didn't play electric guitar in the Victorian era. The picture was pasted on the album cover, which gave the original albums an artsy and nice personal touch.

The first song "Leaving" the guitar and flute reminds me of "Can't You See?" by Marshall Tucker Band, or maybe it should be vice a versa because former proceeds the latter by two years. The style of bass player reminds me of Jon Camp from Renaissance. The drummer, Johnny Clark, at times reminds me of Jim Fox from the James Gang.

"Saga Of The Sad Jester" is another great track on the album. The songs with a has a choppy chords intro a la Jan Akkerman, and the riff re-appears after the verse. The riff is somewhat similar to Hocus Pocus by Focus. However during the verse plays jangly arpeggios.

"Dawn" is a very sweet guitar and flute song, reminiscent of acoustic number by ABB and CSN. The vocals have a thin high pitched voice similar to Alan Wilson or Steve Winwood, all which gives the song very authentic 60s Folk vibe.

I return to it every so often and give it another listen. The album has really grown on me. All and all it's one of my favorite albums, which I was able to find through happenstance (or perhaps a logistical algorithm) on YouTube.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote