Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #684 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Chief
Artist: Jidenna
Genre: Hip-Hop/Pop/R&B
Nationality: American
Release date: February 17
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.71
Always nice to see a hip-hop album open with acoustic guitar. Ooh, I like the dark energy on this! Angry without being boastful, no “I am the greatest” type ****. Great rhythm to “Chief Don't Run”, and “Trampoline” is hilarious, somehow achieving the twin and opposite goals of calling her a slut while also defending her honour: “The lady ain't a tramp just cause she bounces up and down like a trampoline.” Classic. And now we're getting what sounds like a fifties ballad. Holy ****. This album is, so far, amazing. And then the main theme to “Can't Help Falling In Love With You”, and he sings (yeah, sings) on “Helicopters/Beware”. Reworking “We Will Rock You” for “Long Live The Chief” - rhythm on this album is amazing. Have I said that already? Well I'm saying it again. A review of this album noted it “keeps the listener's attention throughout” and I was skeptical, but it really does. One of the best hip-hop/r&b albums I've heard here. Excellent.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 10