Music Banter - View Single Post - Pre-1984 era Whitesnake pretty underrated in the USA?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Texas Boy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
I think Urban had this discussion going in another thread at some point. he wanted people to understand there were two phases of Whitesnake, what he considered decent 70's rock, to the absolute horror it turned into.
You mean this post by Urban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
OK i`m going to risk losing even more credibility here but who cares.......

Right then lets get one thing straight there are 2 Whitesnakes.

Most people remember the mid - late 80s abomination of a hair metal band with steve Vai on guitar (UGH!!!!).But what people don`t seem to realise is between 1978-82 Whitesnake put out some of the best British blues rock i`ve ever heard , easily on a par with the likes of Thin Lizzy.
This album takes the best of David Coverdale`s first 4 Whitesnake albums & also tracks from some of the material he recorded with Deep Purple.
It`s also recorded by the best Whitesnake line up of all time featuring 4 ex members of Deep Purple (Coverdale himself , Jon Lord , Ian Paice & Glenn Hughes)as well as the underrated duo of Mickey Moody and Bernie Marsden on guitar.The 11 minute version of Mistreated is absolutly blistering.

Anyone who calls themself a fan of classic rock should own this.
I agree with this. And I'm standing by my statement that Whitesnake at its best is overlooked in America, while they were always beloved all over Europe.
"Live...In the Heart of the City" is a very good live album, arguably their best record. Even their most successful, "hair metal" record 1987 has some really kick-ass tunes on it and IMO it ****s on any album by Motley Crue or any other record by lame 80's hair bands.
Texas Boy is offline   Reply With Quote