Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #710 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Lost in the Ghost Light
Artist: Tim Bowness
Genre: Progressive Rock/Art Rock/Downtempo
Nationality: English
Release date: February 17
Position in Discography: Fourth solo album
Fear Factor: Non-existent
Familiar with this artist? Very
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Very
Average RYM Score: 3.27
Damn, but I need something to wash the taste of Sun Kil Moon out of my mouth! Ah, perfect! I've loved Tim Bowness's music ever since I heard him with No-Man, but because that's a project he undertook with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson – and every prog fan loves Steven Wilson, though probably not as much as Steven Wilson loves Steven Wilson – he tends to get a little overshadowed on that. His solo material, however, is another matter, and I really enjoyed his last album but one, Abandoned Dancehall Dreams, though I have yet to hear the one prior to this, Stupid Things That Mean the World. There's something really ethereal about both his singing and his music that always relaxes me, and this is demonstrated to its fullest extent on “Moonshot Manchild”, however there's some rocking to be had to, like “Kill the Pain That's Killing You” with its semi-tribal beats and squealing guitar riffs.

Mostly though, Bowness tends to do the, I guess you could call it, as Wiki do, downtempo to some degree, style of laidback, relaxing prog rock that almost makes speaking about individual tracks redundant. You sort of lie back and immerse yourself in the music, let it wash over you. There's some unexpected darkness in the – rather short – title track, showing that Bowness can step onto murkier paths when required, then we're back in the quieter, softer realms for “You Wanted To Be Seen” before “Distant Summers” completes a near-perfect album and demonstrates that you don't need to have seventeen or more tracks on your album for it to be a triumph.

Check out more from this artist? Always
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes of course

Expectation Index: 0