Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #718 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Dumb Blood
Artist: Vant
Genre: Indie Rock/Punk Rock
Nationality: English
Release date: February 17
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.69
I'm not quite sure how Wiki can call this Vant's “only studio album” when it was only released this year, but it's certainly their debut. Sounds more like hard rock/heavy metal than punk to me, but that's only the first track. Not bad though. Hmm, though we're four tracks in and, while it's good and I have no complaints, I can't actually point to anything and say that was a great track. A little generic? What's the difference between this and Garage Rock, then? Eh? Answer me that, if you can. I don't see a huge difference personally, not that I'd know. I have to say, “I Don't Believe In God” is just so cringeworthy a title – this is SO punk, isn't it guys? - that I almost don't want to complete the album now. Jesus.

“Parasite” is the first song here I would call, with my laughably limited understanding of the genre, punk, but it's almost like “Summertime Blues” sped up, then surely “Are We Free?” is as far from punk as it's possible to get? I guess this is mostly more indie than punk rock, but for all that, and for all its overriding genericity, it's not too bad really.

Check out more from this artist? Probably not, assuming they make another album
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 8