Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #720 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Black
Artist: William Control
Genre: Darkwave/Synthpop
Nationality: American
Release date: February 17
Position in Discography: Second EP of four to presage their fifth album
Fear Factor: Low
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.00
Interesting idea. Though it might seem like these guys are paying homage to Ireland's most famous export with the title of this EP, it's actually one of four, each referring to a Horseman of the Apocalypse. So there has already been The Pale, released in 2016, and The Red and The White will follow. Sweet. What doesn't seem such a good idea is that, apparently, these four EPs will then make up the new album, called, quite cleverly, Revelations. Well, if you're going to shell out for all four EPs, why would you bother buying the album when it's released, unless there are extra tracks, and even then, would it be worth it? I suppose collectors, hardcore fans etc will have to have all four EPs plus the album, but your average Joe Nobody who hasn't got the cash for that will surely think, “**** it: I have all these tracks now, why pay for them, essentially, a second time?” I guess time will tell. I would have to say, as Zaphod Beeblebrox once opined: “Ten out of ten for style, but minus several million points for good thinking.” Hmm.

Anyway, there are four tracks only on this EP (and if I assume this is to be the pattern then the album will have – anyone? - sixteen tracks) and as it gets underway, well, my opinion is that it's nothing like Massive Ego: much more synthpop than darkwave, kind of generic really. Catchy enough, but not much more than that. Admittedly, hard to judge the band on only four tracks, but I assume I'll stumble across the other two remaining EPs (and maybe the album) in due course, when I can make a better assessment of them. For now, kind of meh but I'll reserve judgement.

Check out more from this artist? I'm bound to
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 6