Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #721 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Dirty Projectors
Artist: Dirty Projectors
Genre: Experimental Pop/Art Pop/Electronica/Alt R&B
Nationality: American
Release date: February 21
Position in Discography: Seventh
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.03
Sounds more like soul or blues when it starts, which I had not expected. Ah, but some annoying samples thrown in speak to, I guess, the experimental part of their genre tag. Second one is a bit more disjointed, it's kind of like listening to later-era Prince, when he went all experimental with that 3rdEyeGirl or whatever she called herself. Much of it annoys me though, such as “Work Together”, which kind of, well, doesn't. I'm reminded of James Blake. Is that appropriate? I don't know: I just know this fractured, jumpy sort of melody is similar to what he was doing with his voice when I listened to his album, and I didn't like that either. Experimental indeed. Bah.

I will say that “Bubbles” is quite nice, a song they basically leave alone except for, well, the sound of bubbles popping, while “Winner Takes Nothing” is okay too, but this isn't really the kind of music I want to be listening to of choice. I won't bail, as there are only three more tracks to go, but I doubt this is going to get any better for me.* The Autotune on “Ascent Through the Clouds” returns the annoyance level and knocks it up to ten, and the “ascending” vocal chorus in the middle does nothing to help that, then the song seems to become something completely different, which is disorientating, as I thought we had moved on to the next track, but we haven't. So the annoyance level of this is, rather appropriately perhaps, ascending through the clouds, along with my blood pressure. The last track sounds like "Je t'aime" on organ. What the living ****?

* It didn't.

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? If I can avoid, then no

Expectation Index: 0