Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #20445 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

I watched Blade Runner after an argument with a friend that went something like this:

Friend: You should watch Blade Runner 2049.
Me: Okay, that's cool, but I haven't seen the first one yet.
Friend: Don't bother, you don't need to see it to understand the new one.
Me: Why, did you hate the first one or something?
Her: I couldn't get into it and turned it off. It was really slow and old looking.
Me: Some old movies are amazing, though. Like Back to the Future.
Her: I never even finished Back to the Future. I thought it was just bad costumes and incest.

And then I ended the conversation because I wished to remain friends, then semi-spitefully turned around and watched Blade Runner anyways (you can't tell me not to watch something YOU HAVEN'T SEEN), which was a stunningly-directed film. I mean, I already know I like Ridley Scott, but Blade Runner was next-level beautiful film.

I'm still sour about her trashing Back to the Future. I mean, I definitely lean modern when it comes to my interests in media*, but she trashed both films without even finishing them.

* **** you if you think there's something wrong with preferring to see how people refine and combine techniques to sucking the dicks of the people who invented them. Yeah, Rear Window was inventive and Hitchcock did a LOT with a single room, but the story was slow and the characters were annoying nosy little busybodies. I grew up in a different cultural time period, so there will be times I can't connect to the kinds of characters and stories that were culturally relevant 50 years ago. Doesn't mean my opinion has no value or relevance.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote